The Use of Artificial Intelligence in Restorative Dentistry
Dr Walter Yu Hang Lam
- Clinical Assistant Professor in Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong
- Secretary/Treasurer, Digital Dentistry Research Network, International Association of Dental Research
- International dental advisor and examiner of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Represent Hong Kong in Dental CAD/CAM Systems (TC 06/SC 9), International Standard Organization (ISO)
- Editorial Board Member, Digital Dentistry Section, Journal of Dentistry
- Published more than 40 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and holds 4 patents
Artificial intelligence (AI) is a hot topic in dentistry and has numerous potential applications. While AI is defined as a machine's ability to perform cognitive functions associated with human minds, it has the potential to provide improved dental care beyond the capability of human dentists. This lecture will discuss recent developments and applications of AI in restorative dentistry, particularly in the design of biomimetic dental prostheses and the detection of gum inflammation.
Learning objectives :
- Understand how AI can be used in restorative dentistry to improve dental care.
Learn about the use of AI in prosthodontics, specifically in the design of biomimetic dental prostheses, which mimic the natural structure and function of teeth.
Understand the use of AI in periodontology, particularly in the detection of gum inflammation, which is a common issue that can lead to tooth loss if left untreated.