Available Now: 2018 FDI Council and Standing Committee Election Results
FDI holds elections each year during the General Assembly and Council meetings at the FDI World Dental Congress. FDI’s system of governance and operations is based on democracy, debate, consensus and accountability.
This year, 16 Council and Committee members from 13 countries were elected to the following positions:
Council leads FDI in harmony with its vision and mission. It is comprised of the FDI President, President-elect, Treasurer, and 10 Councillors, who are all elected by the General Assembly. The Speaker of the General Assembly and the FDI Executive Director are non-voting members of Council.
- Dr Jack Cottrell CANADA " re-elected for a second term
- Prof. Li Jian Jin HONG KONG SAR CHINA " re-elected for a second term
- Prof. Paulo Melo PORTUGAL
FDI has five Standing Committees, each with a special sphere of activity and expertise.
Dental Practice Committee
The Dental Practice Committee monitors and advises Council on issues linked to dental practice. The Committee focuses on: quality of care and training standards; practice management; work force; ethics and dental legislation; and technology.
- Dr Mick Armstrong UK
- Prof. Haiping Lu CHINA " re-elected for a second term
The Education Committee monitors and advises Council on relevant and timely issues within dental education. The Committee also coordinates and implements the FDI World Dental Congress Scientific Programme as well as the Continuing Education Programme.
- Dr Enrico Lai ITALY
Membership Liaison and Support Committee
The Membership Liaison and Support Committee monitors and advises Council on communication and support to FDI members. The Committee monitors member needs, expectations, and performance in advocating FDI’s oral health policies and manages the Travel Grant Project.
- Dr Monica Fumero COSTA RICA " re-elected for a second term
Public Health Committee
The Public Health Committee monitors and advises Council on the improvement of oral health and general health in disadvantaged communities and on broader health promotion. The Committee also manages the World Dental Development Fund to further oral health development activities.
- Dr Sophie Dartevelle FRANCE " re-elected for a second term
- Dr Marshall Gallant USA " re-elected for a second term
- Dr Olabode Ijarogbe NIGERIA
- Dr Hiroshi Ogawa JAPAN
The Science Committee provides scientific expertise related to oral health and ensures that FDI’s work is based on sound scientific evidence. The Committee identifies areas of international concern within dentistry, develops scientific papers and policy statements, and advises Council on the transfer of scientific information to the oral health community.
- Dr Thomas Hart USA " re-elected for a second term
- Prof. Reinhard Hickel GERMANY " re-elected for a second term
- Prof. Lahcen Ousehal MOROCCO
- Prof. Dr Mahesh Verma INDIA
- Prof. David Williams UK " re-elected for a second term
Find out more...
Information on the FDI governance structure and election process.