Call for Editor-in-Chief
FDI World Dental Federation (FDI) is seeking a new Editor-in-Chief for its International Dental Journal (IDJ). The initial three-year term will begin on 1 January 2022 and carries an annual stipend.
About the International Dental Journal
The IDJ is the official scientific publication of FDI and celebrated 70 years of existence in 2020. The journal has seen a steady increase in article downloads and Impact Factor up to 2.512 in 2020. Published bimonthly, the IDJ features peer-reviewed articles relevant to oral health issues worldwide. These focus on international public health, practice-related research, and inter-professional education and practice. The journal is an important vehicle to promote the FDI's mission to be the global voice of dental profession and to improve the oral health of people worldwide.
IDJ became a Gold Open Access publication with no subscription charges and Elsevier as the publisher as of 1 January 2021. The digital-only journal is freely available to everyone, which extends the potential audience reach of all articles. The first open-access issue was published in February 2021. Given there are no subscription charges the cost of publishing an article is borne by the author (or their institution or organization) through the requirement of an Article Publication Charge (APC), once the article is accepted for publication.
Role and Qualifications
FDI seeks an Editor-in-Chief who is committed to publication excellence and the advancement of global oral health. Applicants should have experience in public health, practice-related research, and education, as well as be a recognized expert in the field of oral health. The candidate should be a team player and have experience on a journal editorial board(s), a proven track record of publications in high-quality journals, excellent leadership and communication skills, with a good understanding of open-access publishing.
The candidate should have a passion for scientific publishing and be a strategic thinker with the vision to further the reach and impact of IDJ. They should also have an interest in emerging research trends with an extensive network/contacts within the public oral health, research and education communities worldwide, including experts in general and specialty areas of dentistry. The candidate must have the knowledge and commitment to drive best practices in peer-review processes and be aware of the latest advancements in scholarly publishing. They should have the network and foresight to bring new authors into the publication and operate under the highest ethical standards, as well as be committed to upholding FDI’s values. Candidates with a keen interest in digital media tools and how they can be leveraged to extend the audience reach of IDJ, will be considered an asset.
The candidate should have a high level of English with at minimum a DDS, DMD degree, or equivalent, with a significant track record of academic research experience in oral health. An additional advanced degree in a relevant basic or applied science—a PhD, or equivalent is highly desirable.
Main job duties and responsibilities
The Editor-in-Chief’s responsibilities include developing the journal’s content on an ongoing basis; soliciting, receiving, evaluating, and selecting all materials submitted for publication in a timely manner; appointing and working with an Editorial Board; and collaborating with the publisher to increase the journal’s visibility, author submissions, and readership.
The main duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversee the mission and scope of the journal in consultation with the publisher and FDI leadership and make recommendations to improve its content, direction and reach as well as implement strategies to expand its scope to meet FDI’s objectives.
- Appoint, manage, and monitor the performance of an Editorial Board that promotes diversity and inclusion as well as represents expertise in all major disciplines published in the journal.
- Appoint guest editors for any invited reviews or supplements, as necessary.
- Manage the peer-review process and screen all articles for their suitability for publication in IDJ and assign papers to reviewers who have the appropriate knowledge and skills to evaluate them.
- Ensure that the review process is completed in a timely way and that authors receive constructive feedback about their papers submitted.
- Be the final arbiter regarding the acceptance of papers when reviewers differ in their evaluations.
- Improve the speed of the review process and article lag time.
- Submit the manuscripts for each issue on time according to the schedule agreed upon with the publisher.
- Develop topics for potential special issues and/or supplements (which could be used to approach potential sponsors) and help secure at least one supplement per year.
- Grant waivers of the open access fee to authors pursuant to the publisher’s waiver policy in place at the time the waiver is granted.
- Ensure the journal follows customary ethical policies for scholarly publishing.
- Handle and respond to all authors’ issues/complaints.
- Identify, investigate, and address any ethical breaches of conduct by authors and reviewers, and manage any conflict-of-interest issues.
- Ensure that authors are treated with fairness, courtesy, objectivity, and honesty.
- Seek opportunities to promote the journal and encourage submissions as well as invite potential contributors to consider submitting papers to the journal.
- Recommend ways to improve IDJ and ensure an ever-increasing readership.
- Highlight any significant problems that might affect the quality or timely release of the journal.
- Collaborate with FDI’s leadership on broader strategies and further development.
- Hold regular meetings of the editorial board and involve them in strategy implementation.
Interested candidates should send a full curriculum vitae and a 2–3 page letter of intent describing their qualifications for this role, as well as their 3–6-year vision for the journal and how this can be achieved to: Mr Enzo Bondioni, FDI Executive Director: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 1 October 2021
Reports to: Communications and Advocacy Director
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Position type: Full time
Contract type: Permanent
Start date: As soon as possible
FDI World Dental Federation is a Swiss-based not-for-profit organization. It serves as the principal representative body for over one million dentists worldwide. Founded in 1900, it is one of the oldest organizations in the field of dentistry. Its membership includes some 200 national dental associations and specialist groups in over 130 countries. FDI is the global voice of the dental profession and works with its member organizations to improve the oral health of people worldwide. It is in official relations with the World Health Organization and works closely with other UN agencies. FDI’s vision: ‘leading the world to optimal oral health’. www.fdiworlddental.org; www.facebook.com/FDIWorldDentalFederation; twitter.com/fdiworlddental
We are seeking an experienced Communications Manager with exceptional English writing and editing skills to help enhance and maintain FDI’s profile and reputation as well as raise the visibility of oral health issues across multiple stakeholder groups. You will support all FDI’s internal and external communications efforts. The successful candidate will have strong project management skills and the ability to work on several communications campaigns simultaneously and measure their impact. You will have experience managing production schedules for publications as well as writing and editing copy across a diverse range of communications channels.
You must have the ability to write compelling news stories, promotional plans, resources, website, and social media content, as well as be proficient in developing media strategies and messaging. The candidate should also have experience managing social media platforms. This is a fast-paced and varied role, which demands multi-tasking abilities, excellent communication skills and proven experience working closely with external agencies and service providers.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Ensure high-quality, on message and consistent outputs from FDI by providing writing, editing, and proofreading support across the organization.
- Manage the content and production process for FDI’s three monthly newsletters, including sourcing and writing compelling news stories.
- Review, write and edit communications material such as promotional brochures, press releases, advocacy resources, toolkits, reports, white papers, etc.
- Support FDI leadership with their communications needs by preparing material such as speeches, presentations, talking points, interviews, video scripts and editorials.
- Support the development and evaluation of communications plans for FDI’s projects and ensure brand integrity.
- Develop and implement strategies to maximize media coverage and write articles, press releases and supporting background material as well as coordinate media interviews.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive promotional plan for FDI’s official peer-reviewed publication the International Dental Journal.
- Manage the production process and content for the organization’s annual report as well as other publications as relevant.
- Work with the digital team to produce web content, write social media posts and help track key metrics as well as generate new ideas and innovative strategies.
- Oversee the development of FDI’s media database of contacts and coordinate media monitoring and distribution services.
- Track, measure, analyze and prepare quarterly impact reports on communications efforts.
- Coordinate the work of FDI’s Science Committee and organize meetings and teleconferences as appropriate, including all logistical aspects and record minutes.
- Other work as required to support the implementation of FDI’s communications strategy.
- At least five-years’ experience of working in a similar communications role or related field (public relations, journalism, media).
- Excellent oral and written English communications with strong copywriting, editing and proofreading skills.
- Storytelling mindset with the ability to turn complex information into compelling content.
- Extensive experience of working with a diverse range of communications channels.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet conflicting deadlines under pressure.
- Team worker with a positive, solution-focused approach to work.
- Knowledge of online multimedia tools and practices: Google Analytics, Hootsuite, social media publishing tools and insights; experience in Drupal CMS an asset.
- A good understanding of the not-for-profit healthcare sector with previous experience an asset.
- Willingness to travel.
- Valid permit to work in Switzerland.
Application: interested and qualified candidates should send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, addressed to Chaz Jagait, Director of Communications and Advocacy by 24 June 2021.
Please note only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
About the position
The FDI Continuing Education Programme is an important component in delivering FDI’s vision ‘leading the world to optimal oral health’. The mission statement of the Continuing Education Programme is to facilitate knowledge transfer, sharing and exchange by providing equitable access to the highest quality resources, in order to reduce educational inequalities among FDI member national dental associations.
The appointment of an FDI Regional Programme Director is made by the FDI Council on the proposal of the Chair of the Education Committee and Executive Director for a 2 years (renewable) mandate. There will be no limit as to how many terms they could serve.
The CE Programme Regional Director reports to FDI, through FDI Executive Director and Education Committee, and is responsible for a smooth running of the CE Programme in the region, for the quality of the content and for raising the overall profile of the FDI Continuing Education Programme. CE Regional Directors are evaluated annually by the Education Committee Chair, Executive Director and Congress & Event Director, based on the criteria described below.
Responsibilities and evaluation criteria for the position
1. To liaise with the FDI Education Committee, Executive Director and assigned FDI staff in developing an annual Regional Continuing Education Programme and ensure that it contributes to the outcomes of the educational strategy.
2. To identify and secure external sponsorship, in particular from regional and local companies, to support the proposed programme.
3. To coordinate and collaborate with the FDI member National Dental Associations to deliver the CE Programme in the region whilst coordinating and cooperating with regional organisations and other stakeholders.
4. To facilitate individual sessions, workshops, or complete programmes, within the framework of FDI Continuing Education Programme.
5. To recruit and approve speakers for the Regional CE Programme.
6. To provide an annual activity report (using the template provided by FDI head office) to the Education Committee and Executive Director.
Application and selection procedure
The Selection committee will be composed of the FDI Executive Director and the Education Committee members.
Applications or recommendations of individuals should be received by the Executive Director (by post or email) by the deadline indicated above.
Applications should be submitted in English and include:
1. A short biography / CV with the relevant information regarding experience (2-pages maximum)
2. A short letter of motivation (1-page maximum)
3. An endorsement letter of a Regular FDI member Association in the candidate’s country
4. In addition, please fill in and return the questionnaire accessible here:
Short-listed candidates will be invited for a phone interview by the Selection Committee.
Successful applicants will be recommended to council, and, upon approval, appointed immediately by Executive Director.
For further information, interested candidates may contact FDI Executive Director, Enzo Bondioni by email at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 30 July 2021