Establishing a routine of daily oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing, is imperative for disease prevention and the maintenance of optimal oral health. In addition to these fundamental practices, certain individuals incorporate antimicrobial oral rinses or mouthwashes into their daily regimens to safeguard against oral diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, and fungi that exist on oral hard and soft tissues.
In this topic-specific International Dental Journal (IDJ) Supplement, FDI has curated six peer-reviewed articles aimed at providing the most current data on the role of mouthwashes. Delve into the Supplement as the authors discuss the microbial level functionality of mouthwashes, as well as their in vivo evidence in the context of:
- their effectiveness, in the context of oral disease
- the oral microbiome: the good, the bad, and the balanced
- their effects on systemic health
- alternatives and future directions
Dentists and dental teams are invited to peruse the articles and learn about the suggestions and recommendations for appropriate adjunctive mouthwash use for oral diseases, such as gingivitis, periodontal disease, caries, halitosis, and dry socket, based on their mechanisms of action and clinical effectiveness using the best available evidence. Read the articles now:
- Effectiveness of Mouthwashes in Managing Oral Diseases and Conditions: Do They Have a Role?
Colman McGrath, Janet Clarkson, Ann-Marie Glenny, Laurance Walsh, Fang Hua
- Antimicrobial Mouthwashes: An Overview of Mechanisms—What Do We Still Need to Know?
Zoë Brookes, Colman McGrath, Michael McCullough
- The Effects of Antimicrobial Mouthwashes on Systemic Disease: What Is the Evidence?
Mohammad S. Alrashdan, Jair Carneiro Leao, Amazon Doble, Michael McCullough, Stephen Porter
- Mouthwash Effects on the Oral Microbiome: Are They Good, Bad, or Balanced?
Zoë Brookes, Leanne Teoh, Fabian Cieplik, Purnima Kumar
- Mouthwashes: Alternatives and Future Directions
Brett Duane, Tami Yap, Prasanna Neelakantan, Robert Anthonappa, Raul Bescos, Colman McGrath, Michael McCullough, Zoë Brookes
- Mouthwashes: Implications for Practice
Zoë Brookes, Michael McCullough, Purnima Kumar, Colman McGrath
Read the Supplement
Save the date for a webinar on this Supplement’s findings
A webinar explaining the findings within this Supplement will take place online on the FDI Oral Health Campus in January 2024. Make sure to join the webinar to get the chance meet the panel of experts and ask them questions related to the role of mouthwash in oral care.
The overall learning objectives of this webinar are to:
- Answer common myths about the role of mouthwashes
- Understand the positive and/or negative effects of mouthwash use
- Learn about the role of mouthwashes and the affectation of the oral microbiome
- Understand potential systemic links with mouthwash use
- Discuss new developments and future directions in the world of mouthwashes
Register for the webinar